当前位置:文档之家› 清华大学景点英文介绍

清华大学景点英文介绍

路线泥沙馆(Sedimentation Building)-图书馆(Tsinghua University Library)-西操(West Sports Ground)-大礼堂(Auditorium)-新水利馆(New Hydraulic Engineering Building)-清华学堂(Tsinghua School)-日晷(Sundial)-科学馆(Science Building)(-水木清华(Shuimu Tsinghua)-近春园(Jinchun Garden)-清华园(Tsinghua Garden))-二校门(The old Gate)泥沙馆-二校门-日晷-清华学堂-大礼堂-新水利馆-科学馆-工字厅-近春园-水木清华-图书馆-西操Brief introduction of the history of Tsinghua UniversityThe Tsinghua University is located in the Tsinghua Garden, which was the imperial garden in Qing dynasty. In 1901, Eight-Nation Alliance invaded Beijing and forced the Qing dynasty government to sign the Boxer Protocol. According to this Protocol, Qing government need to pay a large number of reparations to the aggressor countries. In 1911, based on a part of this reparations, a School named “Tsinghua Xuetang” was built as Preparatory School for students to study in United States. “Tsinghua Xuetang” was the predecessor of today’s Tsinghua University. The name “National Tsinghua University” was adopted in 1928.Since its establish, with a motto of Self-Discipline and Social Commitment, Tsinghua University is dedicated to academic excellence, the well-being of Chinese society and to global development. Today, most national and international rankings place Tsinghua as one of the best universities in Mainland China.So we can see three different architectural styles of buildings in the campus of Tsinghua University. The old buildings are mainly located in the west of Xuetang Road, in the east of Xuetang Road there are all new buildings which was built after 1949.泥沙馆Sedimentation BuildingSedimentation Building is mainly built for the research of hydraulics and river dynamics. It contains offices, boardrooms and laboratories.二校门The Old GateThe Old Gate was built in 1909. The Gate was the main entrance to the school campus at that time.At that time, the Gate was heavily guarded. In those years, underclassmen were not allowed to go out of the gate without permission from school authorities. In addition, in order to preserve the sanctity of the learning environment, outside people without permission were also forbidden to pass through the gate.In 1933, after the expansion of the residential area, the former enclosing wall was moved to further out. A new gate, now Tsinghua's West Gate, became the new mainentrance. Ever since, the original gate has been called Er Xiao Men (means "the second school gate").The Old Gate was demolished in 1960's. Donated by Tsinghua University Alumni, it was rebuilt in 1991, following the original design.日晷SundialThe sundial is a classical timer used in ancient times. It is a gift given by the graduates in 1920. It serves as a reference for class time for students, and also a reminder to them that every second of time should be valued.It was carved with the motto "Actions speak louder than words" in both Chinese and Latin characters together with the date of construction. Today, the motto "Actions speak louder than words" has already become the school spirit of Tsinghua University. The?Sundial?is?made?of?silver?covered?with?enamel.?The Sundial stood in front of Tsinghua’s grassy quadrangle before the foundation of People’s Republic of China (about 1948). The planar surface of the sundial turned to be stony then, since the former silver one covered with enamel disappeared. Tsinghua often had struggle meeting on the grassy quadrangle during the Cultural Revolution. The oval grassy quadrangle was changed into a rectangle and the Sundial was removed in order to enlarge the field. The place where the Sundial used to stand was stuffed with cement, and the Sundial was missing. After the Cultural Revolution, Tsinghua began to collect the old things of the university, and the Sundial was found in a pile of stones, but its planar disappeared. The Sundial we see nowadays had been repaired after that, and its planar was newly made. It was here since the 70th anniversary of the foundation of Tsinghua.清华学堂Tsinghua XuetangTsinghua Xuetang is one of the landmarks of Tsinghua University. Xuetang means school, a place for teaching. The construction of Tsinghua Xuetang was completed in 1916. It was one of the main buildings of the school at its early stage.The four Chinese characters painted above the main entrance read "Tsinghua School", the first name of the institution when it was founded. The inscription was by Na Tong, a Great Scholar and Grand Minister in late Qing Dynasty.Tsinghua Xuetang served as classrooms for senior students at the beginning of the school. After the east part was built, it remained a dormitory for senior graduating students for several years. In 1925, the Institute of Chinese Classics was set up here. The renowned “Four Tutors" in the Institute of Chinese Classics: Liang Qichao, WangGuowei, Zhao Yuanren, Chen Yinque, (梁启超、王国维、赵元任、陈寅恪)the famous archeologist Li Ji, and litterateur Wu Mi were brought together.In the last few decades, it was used as teaching building and classrooms. Now it is the offices of some main administration departments: the Graduate School, the undergraduate academic department and the R&D department.大礼堂AuditoriumThe Auditorium is a symbol of Tsinghua University. The Auditorium was designed by American architect . Murphy in 1913, and completed in 1917. It is one of the four major building projects carried out by Tsinghua School, together with Tsinghua Xuetang, the old library, and the west gymnasium. Since the American designer didn’t believe the quality of building materials in China, they imported the costing cork floors, chairs and even the red bricks all from America. The design of Auditorium based on the image of the auditorium in University of Pennsylvania. Endowed with the feature of both Greek and Roman building, looks very elegant.For a long time, the building has been long viewed as the symbol of persistence, simplicity and indomitable will. Though more than 90 years has passed, the Auditorium still maintains quite well. Large-scaled activities like every Student Festival of different departments and some concerts are often held here.新水利馆Department of Hydraulic EngineeringThe Water Conservancy Building is hosts the Department of Hydraulic Engineering. Constructed in the year 1955. Its designer is Mr. Zhou Weiquan. In order to match the style of the buildings around the great auditorium, the designer applied the same methods in his general drawing arrangement and architectural style arrangement. The appearance of the building consists of elements like red brick wall and arch door, window and gate.Department of Hydraulic Engineering dates back to the Hydraulic Engineering group and Hydraulic Engineering laboratory of the Civil Engineering Department in the late the school-department adjustment in 1952, department of Hydraulic and department of Hydropower Engineering were founded. In 1955, it moved into the new department building and was reestablished as Department of Hydraulic Engineering.The department has a strong teaching staff, including six academicians and 40 professors. The former President of China, Hu Jintao graduated from this departmentin 1965.智者乐水、仁者乐山The statue of “Zhi Zhe Le Shui, Ren Zhe Le Shan” was built in 2002 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Department of Hydraulic Engineering. The statue was donated by alumni graduated in 1965, including our former President Hu Jintao and former Minister of Water Resources Wang Shucheng.The sentence is from Confucian Analects. The left part of the statue represents hard mountain rocks, and the right part represents flowing water. It means wise men are sharp-minded, just like flowing waters, kind men are kindhearted and tolerant, just like staunch mountains. That is how the statue comes into being.科学馆Science BuildingThe Science Building is also one of the Four Early Architectures of Tsinghua University. It was first built in 1917 and was finished 1919. Again Mr. . Murphy added his expertise and talents to the design of the Science Building.There are characters in both Chinese and old English of “SCIENCE BVILDING” on the lintel of the door which are distinguished and simple. It was used for science teaching and experiments when first built because it possesses of the most advanced equipment. Later it served as Physics Department Building for 73 years till the newly-built Physics Department teaching building came into use. This building brought out countless scientists and many of them are famous all around the world for their contribution to our earth, such as Wang Ganchang, Wang Zhuxi, Peng Hengwu, Qian Sanqiang, He Zehui and Lin Jiaqiao. (王淦昌、王竹溪、彭恒武、钱三强、何泽慧、林家翘)Among the 23 scientists honored by the country in 1999 for their great contributions to the astonishing accomplishment of the “Atomic Bomb, hydrogen Bomb and artificial satellite”, 9 graduated from Physics Department of Tsinghua University.Now, the Science Building is the dreaming place for the young generation nationwide who is interested in science.清华园Tsinghua GardenThe more popular name of the garden is Gong Zi Ting -- which in Chinese means H-Shaped House. Viewed from above, the central part of the house resembles the letter "H", with its two halls in the front and back connected by a short corridor in the middle.? The garden was the residence of a Qing emperor's brother's family. In the early days of Tsinghua School, the garden was used as the school's first head office building. Student enrollment lists were posted on the wall at the front gate. For some years in its history,the east room in the front section was used as the Music Center, the west room as the teacher's reading room and the back section to accommodate distinguished foreign guests. The great Indian poet Tagore stayed there when he visited China in 1924.近春园(荷塘月色)Jinchun GardenJinchun Garden was the residence of emperor Xian Feng before he succeeded his father. After he took power, he changed the name “Xichun garden” into “Tsinghua garden” and extended the whole garden.In the summer of 1927, during one sleepless night, the well-known Professor Zhu Ziqing of Tsinghua, went for a stroll around the lake area to think about the tremendous changes occurring in Chinese society. When the lovely landscape caught his attention, he was moved to write the now-classic essay "The View of the Lotus Pond in the Moonlight."水木清华Shuimu TsinghuaShuimu Tsinghua which means "clear water and trees surrounding Tsinghua" is one of the most captivating spots in Tsinghua. It was founded in the 18th century. It used to be a part of the imperial garden, so it is also called 'garden within a garden'.The four Chinese characters "Shui Mu Tsing Hua" painted on the top of the main gate, were copied from an inscription by Emperor Kang Xi. On the opposite of the main gate, there exists a sculpture of famous proser Mr. Zhu Ziqing.清华图书馆Tsinghua University LibraryThe Tsinghua Library is one of the landmarks at Tsinghua University which now has a collection of more than 4 million books. Tsinghua Library consists of three parts: the old library, Yifu library and Li Wenzheng Library which is also called the north library. The old library also consists of the early part and the latter extension part. The Tsinghua Library has been under construction four times and its life span covers more than 90 years.The early part of the old library was designed by a famous American architect . Murphy and was completed in 1919. It was considered to be one of the Four Tsinghua Early Buildings. The extension part of the old library was finished in 1931 and covered an area of three times as large as the early part. The Yifu library was built in 1991. It was donated by the famous philanthropist Mr. Shao Yifu and designed by academician Mr. Guan Zhaoye from the School of Architecture. Mr. Guan used what most Tsinghua old architectures adopted such as the red bricks and grey tiles in order to keep consistency with the style of the previous one. The Li Wenzheng library was completed in this year.It was donated by the industrialist Mr. Li wenzheng and also designed by architect Mr. Guan Zhaoye.The library is so superior in design that it received many honors, including “one of the Top 10 architectures of Beijing” in the Library has deep cultural and human atmosphere. Mr. Qian Zhongshu had once made up his mind to read all the books from the library and Mr. Cao Yu wrote his most famous drama Thunderstorm (Lei Yu) in the library.西操场West Sports GroundWest Sports Ground is famous for its blue athletic track which was repainted last year. Its original color is red. In the west of the playground is west Gymnasium.It was designed by architect . Murphy and was completed in 1919. It was considered to be one of the Four Tsinghua Early Buildings. When it was founded, the gym was one of the most advanced of its kind in the country. It housed a basketball court, an athletic track, and various kinds of athletic equipment. It also has an indoor swimming pool.It has been a gathering place for the most outstanding people in the field of physical education, bringing up thousands of talented athletes to represent China. After the liberation of China, former Chairman Mao Zedong used to swim there. Pioneers of physical education such as John Ma and Hao Gengshen taught there for decades.。

相关主题