否定转移否定的转移是指英语否定句在句中某一部分(常在谓语部分),但在语义上却是否定另一部分的现象。
翻译这类句子时不要单纯依赖语法分析,而应从语义上分析,根据上下文理解句意。
例:He doesn’t teach because teaching is easy for him. 他之所以教书,并不是因为他觉得教书轻松。
一、否定形式在表示“看法”的谓语动词上,语义上却是否定后面的宾语从句。
此类动词有:think, believe, suppose, imagine, expect, anticipate, fancy, consider, find (感到), guess,be supposed to, calculate, figure, reckon。
- I don't believe I've met you before. ("I believe I haven’t met youbefore.") 我认为我没有见过你。
- I don't think you will be late. 我认为你不会迟到。
- I don't suppose he cares, does he? 我看他不在乎,对吧?- He doesn't expect we need worry. 他认为我们不必着急。
- I don’t recon she is old enough to go to school.我认为她还没到上学的年纪。
注:上述判断性动词出现以下情况时,其否定不发生转移:(1)用作插入语时:- Li Lei, I think, won’t be angry with you. 我想李蕾不会生你的气。
- Tom, I suppose, won’t be against it. 我猜想汤姆不会反对。
(2)这些动词跟其他另一个动词一起做并列谓语时:- I believe and hope he won’t do that. 我相信并且也希望他将不会那样做。
(3)用于疑问句时:- Do you think it is not going to rain? 你认为天不会下雨吗?(4)主句中添加情态动词can't, mustn't, wouldn't时:- You mustn’t think he’s stupid. 你不应该认为他愚蠢。
- I wouldn't have imagined that you would be here. 我不曾想到你会在这儿。
- I can’t imagine how he could survive that car accident.我想象不出在那次车祸中他是怎样活命的。
(5)think , expect 作料想讲时:- I didn’t expect I’d meet you here. 我没料到会在这里碰上你。
- We didn’t think he is such a selfish man. 我们没料到他是这样一个自私的人。
(6)suppose , think 用于祈使句式或被副词修饰时:- Don’t suppose you have passed the exam, this is only a part of the exam.别以为你通过了考试,这仅仅是考试的一部分。
- I simply don’t think you will give me a hand when I’m in difficulty.我根本不指望你在我困难的时候能帮助我。
- I really don’t think it’s necessary for us to go there now. 我的确不认为我们有必要去那儿。
- I feel strongly that he shouldn’t do such a thing. 我强烈地认为他不应该做那样的事。
(7)上述动词所接的宾语从句中如有all , every , many , both 等表全体意义的词或副词时:- I don’t believe both of them are innocent.我不相信他们两个都是清白的。
- I never expect all the students will do the exercises after classes.我从不抱希望于所有学生都会在课外做作业。
- We don’t consider everybody in our class is interested in this topic.我们并不认为班里的每个人都对这个话题感兴趣。
(8)由于cannot help, ought not,need not,not at all等短语的关系而把I think 隔离:- I should have thought sometimes you couldn’t help thinking of the past. 我应该想到你会禁不住想起过去。
- I think you ought not to walk at night alone, Mrs. Moore.- I think you need not be impolite to her,as well as to her son.- "I think the angel are not at al l in heaven." Mr.Esmond said."二、否定形式在表示“感觉”的谓语动词上,语义上却否定表语部分。
此类动词有:appear, seem, feel, sound, taste, smell, as if,feel / look / sound as if, feel / look like。
- The old streets don’t appear deserted.( not deserted . ) 老街看样子还没被废弃。
- I’m not feeling very well today. My head aches. ( not very well … )我今天感到不怎么舒服,头痛。
- The food doesn’t taste fresh. ( not fresh . ) 食物偿起来不鲜。
- It doesn’t seem that they know where to go. 看来他们不知道往哪去。
- It doesn’t appear that we’ll have a sunny day tomorrow. 看来我们明天不会碰上好天气。
三、seem, prove, happen 与不定式构成复合谓语,形式上否定谓语,语义上否定不定式。
- The president didn’t happen to attend that meeting.(happen not to attend … )董事长碰巧没参加那次会议。
- Your ans wer doesn’t seem to be right.(seem not to be …)你的答案看起来似乎不正确。
- Jack doens't seem to like you.(=Jack seems not to like you.)杰克看来不喜欢你。
- The news didn't seem to be true. 这个消息好象并不是真的。
四、pretend , remember 的宾语为非谓语动词时,形式上否定谓语,语义上否定宾语。
- My Italian friend didn’t pretend to see her tutor in the dining room. (pretend not to see … )我的意大利朋友在餐厅里假装没看见她导师。
- I couldn’t remember having carried my wallet out. (否定having …) 我记得不曾带钱包出门。
五、形式上否定谓语,语义上否定宾语补足语。
- I never knew him to carry money because he never had any use of it.我知道他身上从不带钱,因为他从不需要钱。
- We do not consider melting or boiling to be chemical change. (not to be … )我们认为熔化和沸腾不是化学反应。
- Seeing a ball flying, we don’t expect the ball to fly forever. (not to fly …)看到球飞时,我们认为它不会永远飞下去。
- I don’t think math difficult. 我认为数学不难。
- I don’t find the story interesting. 我认为这个故事没有趣。
- I don’t expect so. 我认为不会。
六、在“It is / was likely / probably + 从句”中,形式上否定谓语,语义上否定从句。
- It isn't likely that it will rain tomorrow. 看起来明天不会下雨。
- It isn't probable that he will come here today. 他今天也许不会来这里了。
七、形式上否定谓语,语义上否定状语或状语从句。
- He doesn't go to school by bus but on foot. 他不是步行去上学, 而是坐公共汽车。
- Don't judge a man by his appearance. 不要以貌取人。
- Don’t read in the sun. 不要在阳光下看书。
- Don’t talk with your mouth full of food. 不要口里含着食物说话。
- The ant is not gathering this for itself alone.蚂蚁不只是为自己采食。
- Let’s not talk about it here. 我们别在这里谈吧。
- This great victory has not been won easily.这个伟大的胜利赢来得并不容易。
- I did n't know his name until yesterday. (not ... until)我直到昨天才知道他的名字。