Unit12 Text AImportance重 要 性Many important things that contribute to our overall objectives and give meaning to life don't tend to act upon us or press us.很多重要事情有助于实现我们的总目标,使生活有意义,但是它们不作用于我们.They're not ''urgent",but they are the things that we must act upon.它们并不紧迫,但它们却是我们必须做的事情。
In order to focus on the issues of urgency and importance more effectively,为了更有效地把精力集中在紧急和重要的事情上,let's look at the Time Management Table below.我们来看下面的时间管理分类表。
As you can see it divide s our activities into four parts.该表将人的活动分为四部分,We spend timein one of these four ways:我们以其中任何一种方式度日。
Urgent紧迫Not Urgent不紧迫Important重要I IICrises危机Preparation准备工作Pressing Problems紧急问题Prevention预防工作Dealine-driven projects, meetings, preparations有最后期限的项目、会议和准备工作Values clarification价值分类 Planning计划 Relationship building确立人际关系 True-creation真正的再创造Not Important不重要III IV Interruptions, some phone calls小插曲,某些电话Trivia ,busyworkSome mail, some reports某些信件、报告Some phone calls某些电话Some meetings某些会议Time wasters消耗时间的事情Many proximate, pressing matters许多迫在眉睫的事情"Escape" activities“逃避现实”的活动Many popular activities许多大众活动Irrelevant mail不相关的信件 Excessive TV过度看电视Part I represents things that are both "urgent''and"important" .第1部分表示既"紧迫"又"重要"的事情。
Here's where we handle an angry client,meet a deadline,repair a broken-down machine,undergo a heart surgery,or help a crying child who has been hurt.接待一位怒气冲冲的顾客、在截止期限内完成任务、抢修一台坏了的机器、接受心脏手术、帮助一位因受伤而号啕大哭的孩子,这些都归于此类。
We need to spend time in Part I.我们应该在这类事情上花一些时间。
If we ignore it, we become buried alive.如果忽视这些事情,我们的生活就会乱做一团,终日忙碌地喘不过气来。
But we also need to realize that many important activities become urgent through delay,or because we don't do enough prevention and planning.同时,应该意识到很多重要事情由于耽误、计划不周或者事前预防不力而变得紧迫。
(注:今年4月汉译英刚刚考过这一句)Part 1I includes activities that are "important,but not urgent".This is the Part of Quality.第1I部分包括"重要但不紧迫"的事情,又被称为质量部分。
Here's where we do our long-range planning,anticipate and prevent problems,broaden our minds,and increase our skills through reading and continuous professional development,我们进行长期计划、预见和防治问题、开阔视野、通过阅读和专业方面的不断发展提高工作技巧。
imagine how we're going to help a struggling Son or daughter,想像我们去帮助奋斗中的儿女, prepare for important meetings and presentations,准备很重要的会议发言,or invest in relationships through deep,honest listening.或者通过深入、真诚地倾听别人讲话增进人际关系。
Increasing time spent in this part increases our ability to do.增加花费在该部分的时间会提高我们做事的能力。
Ignoring this part feeds and enlarges Part I,creating stress and deeper crises for us.忽视该部分就会扩大第1部分的范围,增加压力和深层危机。
On the other hand,另外,investing in this part shrinks Part I.加在该部分投入的时间会缩小第1部分。
Planning,preparation,and prevention keep many things from becoming urgent.增计划、准备和预防能够避免许多事情变得紧迫。
Part II does not act on us;we must act on it.属于第1I部分的事情不会催促着我们去行动,我们应该对这些事情采取行动。
This is the Part of personal leadership.这一部分又被称为个人领导部分。
Part Ⅲis easily confused with (被动语态)Part I.第1II部分极易与第1部分混淆。
It includes things that are "urgent,but not important."它包括那些"紧迫但是不重要"的事情。
This is the Part of Deception.该部分被称作欺骗部分。
The noise of urgency creates the illusion of importance.紧迫给人制造重要的假象。
But the actual activities.if they're important at all, are only important to someone else.如果说这些行动重要,它们只对其他人重要。
Many phone calls,meetings,and drop-in visitors fall into(落入,此处指属于)this type.很多电话、会议和偶然来访者都属于这一类。
We spend a lot of time in partⅢmeeting other people's needs,thinking we'rereally in Part I.我们在第1Ⅱ部分花费大量时间满足别人的需要,却认为自己做的事情属于第1部分。
Part IV is reserved for those activities that are "not urgent and not important."第Ⅳ部分包括"既不紧迫也不重要"的事情。
This is the Part of Waste.这是一个浪费部分。
Of course,we really shouldn't be there at a11.显然,我们不应该做属于该部分的事情。
But we get so battle-scarred from being tossed around in Parts I and III that we often "escape" to Part IV for survival.但我们往往为第1、第1II部分的事情焦头烂额、不堪重负,希望在第Ⅳ部分得以解脱。
What kinds of things are in Part IV?那么,哪些事情属于该部分呢?Not necessarily recreational things,because recreation in the true sense of re-creation is a valuable PartⅡactivity.并非休闲活动,因为真正的休闲活动具有再创造的意义,属于第1I部分有价值的活动。
Part IV is deterioration.该部分使人堕落。
We would find there's nothing there.我们会发现这些事情本质上毫无价值。
We'd like to suggest that you look at the Time Management Table and think back over the past week of your life.我们建议你看一下时间管理分类表,回顾一周来的生活。
If you were to place each of your last week's activities in one of these parts,where would you say you spent most of your time? 如果你将一周的活动归类到四个部分,你大部分时间花在哪个部分?Think carefully as you consider Parts I and III.It's easy to think that if something is urgent, it is important.在涉及到第1、第ⅡI部分的时候要仔细考虑,我们很容易这样认为:某件事若非常紧迫,它就是重要的。