每天学习英语It pays to invest in education. 投资教育是有利的。
Once you begin,you must continue.一旦开始,你就得继续。
A good beginning makes a good ending.善始者善终。
Custom is a second nature.习惯是后天养成的。
All I have to do is learn English.我所要做的就是学英语。
Let's take over the dinner.我们边吃边谈。
It's up to date. 这个很时兴。
A friend is easier lost than found. 得友难失友易。
He doesn't care about me.他并不在乎我。
Happy Valentine's Day.情人节快乐。
['væləntain]He could hardly contain[kən'tein] his excitement/anger.他抑制不住内心的激动/气愤。
If I were in your shoes.如果我站在你的立场。
Caution is the parent of safety.小心驶得万年船。
That couldn't be better.那再好不过了。
He was charged with smuggling.他被控告走私。
Have you got a backup plan?你有二手准备吗?We will have to go in rain or fine.无论晴天下雨,我们都得去。
I'm occupied.我走不开。
occupy英音:['ɔkju,pai]What are your plans for the weekend?你周末的计划是什么?He never touches alcohol. 他滴酒不沾。
It worths a shot. 值得一试。
We were able to fix the computer blindfolded.我们轻松搞定计算机(闭眼都能做)。
Are you kidding me?你在耍我。
Break the news to somebody. 委婉地把坏消息告诉某人。
Make a hole.让开道/闪开。
Go right back to the beginning.直接回到起始位置。
We are in the same boat.我们是一根藤上的瓜。
He can hardly speak.他几乎说不出话来。
With clothes the new are best;with friends the old are best.衣服越新越好,朋友越老越好。
The scalded cat fears cold water.一朝被蛇咬,十年怕井绳。
scald:[skɔ:ld]I was intemperate[in'tempərit] in my youth.我年少轻狂。
[注:intemperate a. 1.不节制的;过度的2.酗酒的3.(天气)酷烈的(寒冷的、酷热的)]We should learn to be temperate in eating and drinking.我们须注意控制饮食。
It's been a long time.好久不见It never rains,it pours.不鸣则已,一鸣惊人Footsteps announced his return.听脚步声就知道他回来了May I ask for quarter?能不能请你高抬贵手?What took you so long?怎么那么久Do you have matches?你需要帮忙吗?Do you take money?你们收钱吗?You need a thick skin.你需要经得住批评。
- 1 -He's in a bad skin.他正火着呢。
That excuse simply doesn't hold water.那个借口根本站不住脚。
He is a man of ex-plays/ex-convict/ex-con.他是个有前科的人。
You left the light on.你一直没关灯啊。
He turned the tables on his opponent[ə'pəunənt] and won the match.她反败为胜赢得了比赛。
You are in for a treat.你一定会满意的。
I put my foot in my mouth.我说错话了。
You put the cart before a horse.你本末倒置。
No sweat, I'm happy to help you.不费多大力,我很愿意帮助你。
He keeps griping about having no money.他不断抱怨自己没有钱。
I cannot cope with such a pile of work.我无法处理这么多工作。
Maybe some other time.也许下一次吧。
She ran her stockings. 她的丝袜婆了A day of reckoning. 算帐的日子。
I find amusement in collecting stamps. 我发现了集邮的乐趣。
I need a place to stay. 我需要一个地方去过夜。
This comedy ['kɔmidi] has had them rolling in the aisles. 这出喜剧让他们乐得前仰后合。
Happy International Labour Day! 五一快乐。
Have fun, Good Luck. 玩得开心,好运。
This is my break. 这是我得突破。
I am lost. 我被搞糊涂了。
You've made a good choice.你的眼力不错。
He started his business on a shoestring.他用极少的本钱起家的。
Let's hope for the best.让我们往好处想吧。
The flowers makes the room more beautiful. 花使房间变得更加美了。
Do you have a sweet tooth? 你爱吃甜食吗?Every man worth his salt. 谁也不是吃白饭的。
We should face difficulties with courage. 勇敢面对困难。
He has geared himself up for the interview. 他为面试作好了准备。
I can't resist the temptation. 我不能抵抗诱惑。
He jumped down my throat at the mention of his wife. 一提到他妻子他就暴跳如雷。
I saved your life, you saved mine, we're square. 我救你一命,你救我一命,我们扯平了。
There is a big hole in my head.我什么也不记得了。
Don't play games with me.别跟我捣鬼。
I'll show you.我指给你看。
The battery went dead. 电池没电了。
I'm just have a look. 我只是随便看看。
The Summer Holiday is still a long way off. 离放暑假还早着呢。
A man can do no more than he can. 凡事都该量力而行。
Mr. Smith is in charge of this class. 史密斯老师负责该班。
Difficulties and failures did not damp down his enthusiasm. 困难和失败都没有挫伤他的热情。
[in'θju:ziæzəm]Do you mind my smoking? 你介意我吸烟吗?Can we calculate on their help? 我们能指望他们的帮忙吗?You stood us up.你放我们鸽子了。
He is a no-show.他放鸽子。
- 2 -My phone was out of order. 我的电话坏了。
My father is a repository of interesting facts.我父亲有说不完的趣事。
[ri'pɔzi,təri]n. 1.容器;贮藏处;宝库2.【罕】博物馆;陈列室3.被信赖的人In other words, much thinking yields wisdom.换句话说,多想出智慧。
Hold your horses.耐心点儿。
I apologize if I seem forward.如果我有所冒犯,我道歉。
Till pigs can fly. 除非太阳打西边出来。
He could not make 【both】ends meet. 他入不敷出。
Feast your eyes. 让你大饱眼福。
A shark was after me.一只鲨鱼在追我。
I hope you'll forgive me.我希望你能原谅我。
Whatever you think is fine with me. 我随你。
She walked back and forth on the path.她在小路上来回走着。
My friend got cold feet before the exam.我的朋友在考试前打退堂鼓了。
Keep me updated.有什么新情况(要求别人把某件事情的最新进展告诉你)。
Let me update.你告诉别人某件事情的最新进展。
The business is slow.生意不太好。
The trade/market is brisk.生意活络。
Everybody's business is nobody's business.众人负责等于无人负责。
I'm not myself today.我今天心神不宁。
Dinner is on me.晚饭我请客。
I have racked my brain.我已经绞尽脑汁。